Sunday 1 September 2013

Reflection on Marriage

About go to to bed after hearing from my husband that he has just safely landed in Singapore. We have had a lovely weekend together exploring the neighbourhood, visiting interesting pubs and restaurants, and walking by the seaside. 

We have been married for almost two years now. Before getting married, I used to think: 'wow, this couple has been married for 40 years, I wonder what is their secret to such a long lasting marriage', in the same manner I used to think that 'wow, this person has been a Christian for 20 years. I wonder what is his/her secret of staying faithful to Christ'. 

I realise the blessing is on me - it is such a great blessing to be married to my husband that I can hardly imagine my life without him. It is just the same as I truly got to know Christ- it is such a great blessing that I can hardly imagine my life without Christ. 

When we view marriage simply as a duty, we are tempted to put a chip our our shoulders and think that whatever we do, we do it for 'my spouse's sake', or 'the sake of the marriage/children' etc. And it is so easy to become self-righteous and prideful. 

It is very easy to confuse duty with commitment. Duty in a sense is associated with an inevitable responsibility that comes with moral obligation, which implies little or no pleasure. Commitment is dedicating oneself to something. It is active. And I think, to the person who has chosen to commit, the work brings pleasure, purpose and fulfilment to one's life. 

I can't thank God enough for blessing me with this man, whom I have committed to love, cherish and honour all the days of my life, and our little boy. There are loads of works to do, and life is full of ups and downs. But it is such a privilege to share our lives together.


  







No comments:

Post a Comment